Are you entitled to pay less council tax?
Are you entitled to pay less council tax?

Coronavirus continues to impact communities across Flintshire, with more people than ever facing financial hardships, which is why Members of the Senedd Hannah Blythyn and Jack Sargeant are urging residents to check if they can receive help in paying their council tax bills.

Almost 300,000 households receive support from the Welsh Government’s Council Tax Reduction Scheme each year, but there are concerns that some people who are entitled to support are not receiving it.

Residents may be entitled to pay less council tax if they:

  • believe they live on a low income;
  • live alone, or with people/children who do not pay council tax;
  • are a student;
  • have a disability; or
  • are severely mentally impaired.

Member of the Senedd for Delyn, Hannah Blythyn, said:

 “Coronavirus has impacted us all in one way or another, with many people struggling to cope with the financial pressures.


The Welsh Government is supporting thousands of households across Wales through their Council Tax Reduction Scheme, but many people will be missing out on support available to them.


To check if you can access discounts, reductions and exemptions then please visit www. council-tax-discounts-and-reduction for information.”

 The Welsh Government have prioritised helping vulnerable households to access financial support that is available to them, and commissioned independent research to better understand the impact of introducing Universal Credit on the scheme and on rent arrears.

Jack Sargeant, Member of the Senedd for Alyn & Deeside, added:

“It is important that households that need support get the help they are entitled to, particularly during these difficult times.


If you have any queries about the Council Tax Reduction Scheme, or any other financial needs, then please get in touch with us as your Members of the Senedd, and we will do all we can to support you.”

 The research shows that for many households in Wales, being on Universal Credit can have a negative impact on council tax reduction awards, council tax debt or rent arrears. The report also provides more detail about some of the options for making changes to the Council Tax Reduction Scheme and highlights the difficulties some households face in understanding the Universal Credit system as well as its relationship with the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

For residents in the Delyn constituency, Hannah Blythyn MS can be contacted on 01352 762102 or at; and those in the Alyn & Deeside constituency can contact Jack Sargeant MS on 01244 823547 or at


Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search